Smart 'Phone

I had resisted getting a smart 'phone for a long time.  I am continually baffled by people ignoring what is happening in real life and endlessly staring fixedly into them as thought their life depended on it.  When I see people endlessly stroking them I am reminded of Gollum in 'Lord of the Rings' hissing 'my precioussssssssssssssssss.'  Folks seem to have to have them in sight. All. Of. The. Time. They have to have them in their hand while walking along the road, getting on and off public transport, walking around the shops (to be fair some folks do have their shopping list on there.)  I think the most irritating aspect of some smart 'phone users is when then put their 'phone on the table when they are out with others.  As soon as the 'phone beeps or buzzes or rings they pick it up.  I was out with a group of ladies for lunch and every time one of them picked up their 'phone to read something, I picked up my book and read it.  I was told, 'it was a bit rude' - oh the irony!  TH and I went to a local restaurant one Valentine's evening.  Only he and I and one other couple were actually talking to each other.  All the other couples were staring at their 'phones.  If you can't make an effort on Valentine's Day when can you?

Having a mobile 'phone seems to make people incapable of carrying out simple tasks like shopping or walking in a straight line.  I am constantly having to dodge out of the way of people as they walk down the street or the aisle of the supermarket with the 'phone clasped to the side of their head, oblivious to anyone else.  My mother-in-law, now well into her eighties, refuses to move out of the way just to make a point.  And why people need to use the bloody things when they are watching a film in the cinema, listening to a concert or attending a theatrical production disrupting the viewing and listening pleasure of all around them, is beyond me.  Driving has become much more of a lottery these days as I have to swerve around drivers meandering across lanes as they lean over to to answer that oh so important call that just cannot wait until they arrive at their destination.  I am regularly left stationary behind a vehicle while the driver finishes a text that cannot wait until they are safely parked, not causing any inconvenience to anyone.  My main concern, though, is cyclists plugged into their music oblivious to other traffic, weaving across the road without looking behind them or signalling.  So it is fair to say I was not a big fan of the smart 'phone.

With all this in mind, I finally succumbed just before the lockdown.  There were groups to which I belong who use various apps to communicate information and it was causing something of a problem not having access to this information. So I bought one. Nothing fancy, just a basic smart 'phone.  And it has turned out to be a godsend during the lockdown!  I can keep in touch with my hobby groups with the various WhatsApp groups and more importantly I can easily contact family and friends, particularly those overseas, at virtually no cost.  Zeal of the converted, eh? ;-)

Comments