The Next Course ................

Well, A207 - From Enlightenment to Romanticism is now over (assuming I don't have to resit!)  The exam was on 12 June; I am deligted to report that I didn't completely fall apart and sit there shaking for 30 minutes staring at the exam paper and neither did I completely panic and start writing the first things that came into my head (have tried both strategies in the past with miserable results :-(  ).  I stuck to my exam plan so all I have to do now is worry about the content <g>.  Inevitably I have had some forehead slapping moments thinking, 'I wish had included blah ...... ' but nothing I can do about it now.

The next course has been selected, AA316 - The Nineteenth Century Novel.  I won't bore you with all the details but due to changes in the way education is funded in the UK I have had to declare for what degree I am studying.  My days of 'dicking around' doing stuff for fun is over.  I had planned a general arts degree with Literature and History but due to course timings this isn't going to work, so have plumped for Literature.  Not my first choice but there we go.

A little light reading to start .............

Comments

  1. Oh, I wish you had said before you signed up! I did a unit on The Victorian Novel as part of my degree. "Books the Size of a Doorstep" would have been a more accurate description. Still, when you've read them all, you'll feel saintly and virtuous (which will be a new sensation for you!).

    To judge from the heap in the photo, it's not all bad. "Middlemarch", "Northanger Abbey", and "The Woman in White" are all excellent. And "Jane Eyre" may well be my favourite book ever. Best of British with Henry James and Thomas Hardy, though!

    Are these all the books on the course or are there more you just can bear to show us?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I remember you doing something similar :-). I was hoping to dick around for years. I really fancied History of Art and there was a good Classics course but The Powers That Be have changed all that - bless them! This is my first Level 3 course, so feeling very grown up and sensible (cue screaming and swearing when I get the course material ). Wish me luck!

    We also read Joseph Conrad's Heart of Darkness and Bram Stoker's Dracula. These are sent out with the course materials so we don't have to buy them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I'd love to have a proper go at History of Art. I did a little bit at the beginning of my M.A. before I had to stop "dicking around" and concentrate on literature.

    I must say, I was really surprised at you going for Eng. Lit. rather than history.

    Kevin likes Conrad - I've tried and can't get on with him - and I adore the novel of Dracula. So much better than any filmed version. It was one of the books I most enjoyed.

    Tip for future units - go with poetry. You may not enjoy it as much, but it's SO much quicker to read than a Victorian doorstep!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Poetry doesn't feature much in future courses. I'm going for Shakespeare after this one - for obvious reasons.

    Literature was not the first option, but then actually doing a degree was not the goal either. I rather liked the 'dicking around' option but as that is all changing I am going for the least hassle option. It's not ideal and I really don't want to do exams or take it seriously but given that it is all coming to an end sooner than I planned I guess I should have something to show for it. All part of growing up and being British I suppose *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, well, you'll enjoy the Shakespeare at least!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Currently re-reading "Dracula". Every bit as fantastic as I remembered!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment