Fanø Brewery

I know a brunette with a brewery ...............  Could almost be the start of a joke really but I actually do.  My chum Mahalia is married to Ryan who runs the brewery on Fanø - the small island which is just a 10 minute ferry ride away.


Mahalia, Ryan and baby Edison who finally got her name approved this week (probably the subject of another blog!)





Ryan had persuaded one of the pubs in Esbjerg - the Dronning Louise - to have his beers on tap for three evenings, Thursday, Friday and Saturday.  Mark and I went into town last night to try some of them out.  The 'menu du soir' consisted:


Fanø Cask - ????? 
Fanø Viola Sofia 2011 - 10.3% Smoked imperial stout 
Fanø Havgus - 2.7% Session IPA with Simcoe, Centennial, and Cascade 
Fanø Pinkkulinthu Triple IPA - 11-12% Massive IPA 
Fanø Stormflod - 5.8% Chocolate Milk stout 
Fanø Vadehav - 6.5 % Brown ale 
Fanø Vestkyst - 5.7% American pale ale 
Fanø Rav 4.5% Pilsner 
Fanø Forår - 6.5% German Maibock 
Fanø Julebryg - 7.5% Porter with coffee vanilla and Cinnamon 
Fanø Edison ale - 9.2% Belgian Triple with spices 
Evil Twin Fem Fatal Brett IPA - 6% IPA fermented 100% with Brettanomyces and hopped with Galaxy, Citra, Summit, and cascade 
Evil Twin Sønderho Hipster ale - 6% Istagade hipster ale aged 4 months in white wine barrels with brett then dry hopped 
Evil Twin Wet Dream - 7% Hoppy Oatmeal brown with Espresso from Coffee collective 
Evil Twin Monks Suffers Serious Sugar Rush on Barbados - 8.5% Belgian dark strong ale with muscadavo sugar 
Evil Twin Epilogue - 9.5% - Monks aged for 7 months in Brunello wine barrels 
Evil Twin The Talented Mr. Orangutan - 5.6% Stout with Orange 
Evil Twin Melvin - 9% - American Double IPA 
Evil Twin Nurse Pepper - 7.5% Smoked porter with a blend of peppers 
Stillwater Brunello Debauched - Debauched aged 4 months in Brunello Barrels



I had a 'taster' rack of small sample beers to start and quickly decided the lighter beers were much more to my taste; the darker, 'stouty' beers are a specialty of Ryan's but they are way too bitter for my palette.  I particularly liked the 'Fem Fatal' and  the 'Pinkkulinthu Triple IPA', two golden beers that did slip down rather nicely.  


Mark and I stayed in a local hotel to avoid one of us having to drive and woke up without a hangover which was a bonus.  Double bubble in that we didn't have to cook breakfast either!  Splendid!!



Comments

  1. If ever anyone looked like a brewer of fine beers, that man looks like a brewer of fine beers. Damn fine beers, if the names are anything to go by!! I can't decide whether I prefer Monks Suffer Serious Sugar Rush on Barbados or Brunello Debauched. In general I prefer debauchery to monks, but that may just be me.....

    Damn, I wish I liked beer!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do agree with you, Ryan looks like a man who knows his beers :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment