Bird Watching

I have always associated the phrase 'bird watching' with Carry On Films and Kenneth Williams saying, 'Ooooh Matron'.  I would not consider myself a 'twitcher' but I have had a hankering for a bird box for many years.   My dad loves all things rural and has a variety of bird boxes and bird tables which has also been another reason I have never moved the idea forward as any opportunity to expound on the countryside sends him into Jack Hargreaves mode (How!) ;-).  However, last year at our housewarming party my friend Jo gave us a bird box. 

Our box is for Great Tits (more Carry On connotations I feel <g>) and apparently the suitability for each bird is determined by the size of the hole (definitely a Viz moment on the horizon!)  Anyway, double entendres notwithstanding, Mark has put up the bird box in an appropriate location.  Apparently it has to be facing between north and south-east (Mark being an engineer fortunately understands compass type things) to ensure that it is not too sunny so baby birds do not get too hot.  Though to be honest I am not sure that it ever gets that hot in Denmark but you can never be too sure.   Mark and I had a bit of a debate on how to put the thing up (neither of us felt comfortable nailing stuff to a tree - no, we have not become tree huggers!) and finally came up with a process that involved rope and lots of swearing.

Not sure we will get any feathery takers this year but I do think it looks mighty fine!




Comments

  1. Oooooh, I want one! That is THE cutest bird house. We've got LOTS of trees and LOTS of tits (fnar) who would love a des res like this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LoL, I knew I could rely on you :-))

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment