Tollund Man

Being married to an engineer I get to see some weird and wonderful things.  The latest bizarre outing was to see Tollund Man.  Tollund man - peat bog man - is essentially a naturally preserved 4th century corpse kept over at Silkeborg university.  He is thought to have been a sacrifice to the gods.


The museum had a nice display of what life would have been like in the 4th century with models wearing clothes, information about typical daily life and the food people would have eaten.


In other parts of the museum there was an exhibition of early 19th century life in Silkeborg.



Including this rather splendid drawing room.


Comments

  1. I had never suspected that engineer's "things" were any more weird and wonderful than those of normal people. Still, as my Mum always says, "you learn something new every day"!!!

    Did you go squeamish looking at Tollund Man? (I know what you're like!) I'm not sure I would have liked looking at a real dead person.

    That drawing room is rather splendid - I can just see myself embroidering away happily and then ringing for tea.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was actually OK looking at Tollund Man. I have a suspicion that the body is a copy and the head is only the actual preserved 'bit' but I'm not sure.

    I'm still horribly squeamish about loads of other things though .......... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still think looking at an actual dead head would have made me feel a bit odd. But maybe not.

    The last "funny turn" I had like that was looking at a beheading sword at Leeds Castle. Not because the sword itself was gruesome, but because my imagination filled in the details of what it was actually used for. Ugh!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment